Front End Software Engineer - Remote
Who We Are:
*This role can be either fully remote or based in our SF HQ. We chose a location because some job boards require us to input one.
Kasa is building a global accommodations brand unlike any other. We took the best that hotels and short-term rentals had to offer and created a new class of hospitality that is affordable, trustworthy, and in convenient locations. Our guests enjoy seamless check-ins, spacious apartments and attractive amenities, helping them feel right at home. If anything comes up, our remote customer service is available 24/7, ensuring our hospitality is felt, not seen.
Behind the scenes, we leverage technology and innovative operations to build a globally scalable offering that delivers high quality stays. Our products and systems unlock unparalleled flexibility to operate anywhere from a few to a few hundred Kasas in any type of building, in just about any location. We currently have Kasas in over 17 states and are expanding into new markets all the time.
All of this is made possible by our team members, each of whom plays a critical role in fulfilling our vision and mission. We strive to foster a culture that values feedback, support, and collaboration throughout the organization. As a remote-first company, we work hard to bridge the gap of distance through initiatives that foster connection across Kasa. A few examples include engaging All-Hands meetings, department get-togethers (online and in person), and teamwide celebrations of important milestones. We encourage team members to stay at Kasa properties to experience our product firsthand and meet local team members when nearby. Guests are critical to Kasa’s mission. Accordingly, every new Kasa team member gets trained in Guest Experience during their onboarding.
Our team is fortunate to have diverse backgrounds, personalities, and experiences united by a commitment to excellence and passion for our industry. If Kasa’s vision and culture speaks to you, and you’re up for the challenge of building a company on the cutting edge of real estate, we would love to have you on our team!
We are looking for a Bay Area-based Front End Engineer (open to remote) to be an integral part of shaping the future of our customer experience. Our goal is an easy to use and responsive website. We're looking for someone who can collaborate with designers and product managers to define the vision of our product, as well as work with the rest of our engineering team to make impactful technology decisions. We want someone who can drive implementation of coding and architecture best practices. You’ll be moving fast, but building for maintainability and extensibility.
In this role, you will report to the Director of Engineering and work with backend leads, our UX designer, and product managers to build the future of both Kasa's internal operational platform and customer-facing UIs. We hope you’re excited by the challenge!
About the Team
This role is in our Technology department and our team is split between San Francisco and Hungary. Our team is friendly, collaborative and we get a lot of our work done during short, water-cooler chats or while making coffee. We run an agile development process and consider a strong culture-add very important. Everyone joined Kasa because they are passionate about travel and hospitality and they stay because of our great culture.
Day in the life of a Kasa Frontend Engineer
Like any Software Engineer, there is no ‘typical day’. Before the day gets rolling we like to start by syncing with our Hungarian coworkers in the form of stand-ups or other agile ceremonies like grooming and planning. The rest of the day tends to be free-form and highly dependent on your responsibilities for the day. You'll work on individual tasks that need to be completed and at other times you'll meet in a conference room with the team of designers or engineers to work through a complex problem. Often, we like to grab lunch as a team from local restaurants and eat together in the office or a nearby park.
Overall, you are expected to uphold and improve on our high engineering standards. You will not only hone your software engineering skills, but also collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to understand business problems, gather requirements, and design technical solutions.
- 4+ years of software engineering industry experience
- Experience working with a web application framework
- Experience working with databases, relational or NoSQL, and serverless microservices built on a node.js / mongodb / vue.js / aws
- Strong CS fundamentals and experience building large-scale sites
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Ability to thrive in a startup environment with enthusiasm to learn and explore personal and technical boundaries
- Passion for travel and hospitality
- Experience working with NoSQL databases: mongodb
- Experience with serverless microservices-based architecture
- Experience in a dynamic, early-stage startup environment
In one year, you will succeed at Kasa by having:
- Lead the delivery of significant features with a focus on driving successful outcomes for our customers
- Provided UI/UX direction to iterate on the design and implementation of the product
- Designed efficient and reusable front-end components
- Written clean, high-quality code and tests while keeping the user experience fast and reliable
- Leveraged prior experience to mentor junior developers in best practices and clean design.
- 🌏 Remote Work: With flexibility as a core value, and over three-quarters of the team working remotely, Kasa employees are able to work from anywhere!
- ✈ Kasa Travel Credit: We love to travel! Kasa employees get an allowance of free stays with us in any of our locations, plus a 50% discount on any nights for friends and family
- 📈 Generous Stock Option Plan: We believe the success of our business should be shared with our team. As you grow with us, we increase the opportunities for you to become part-owners of our company.
- 🙌 Flexible PTO: Full-time exempt Kasa employees are encouraged to take time off as they need and see fit, ensuring that it's not disruptive to their work
- 💲 Competitive Salary: We offer base salaries at or above market rates plus additional earning opportunities based on the position
- 👩⚕Health Coverage: We've invested in comprehensive health insurance options to help when you need it most
Kasa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.